House sitting is one of the greatest ways for travelers and digital nomads to explore the world on a budget. But, before you head out on the adventure of a lifetime, you first need to find the perfect house-sitting job on one of the best house-sitting websites.
I’ve been house-sitting for years now, and I’ve used it to experience different cultures, spend quality time with adorable animals, and save tons of money on accommodation while visiting countries such as Japan, Belgium, Scotland, and England. Needless to say, it’s one of my favorite ways to see the world.
However, if you’re hoping to find the ideal house-sitting opportunity in your dream travel destination, you first need to know where to find these jobs. Luckily for you, I have compiled this ultimate list of the 10 best websites for house sitting including tips on how to apply to these websites, the costs of their membership fees, and the sites’ individual pros and cons.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
☞ SEE ALSO: How To Become a Pet Sitter
10 Best House-Sitting Websites
Just a small note before we dive right in; the first five house-sitting websites listed are filled with international house-sitting opportunities, while the following five websites are focused on jobs in the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand respectively.
Now, let’s begin with the 10 best house-sitting sites:
1. Trusted Housesitters (One of the Best House Sitting Websites!)
First and foremost, Trusted Housesitters is the largest house sitting platform on the internet, and it is undoubtedly one of the best house sitting websites available. Filled with an abundance of international house sitting opportunities (especially in countries like the United Kingdom, United States, and Australia), it’s the ideal choice for both beginner and experienced pet sitters.
When I first started out as a house sitter, I exclusively used Trusted Housesitters, and I didn’t have any trouble finding pet sitting jobs all around the world. I’ve used Trusted Housesitters to pet sit for a month and a half in Tokyo, a week in London, a couple of weeks in Brussels, and for a weekend in Edinburgh. It’s one of my favorite house sitting platforms out there.
Not only does Trusted Housesitters offer the most house sitting opportunities, but it also comes with a 24/7 vet hotline, a convenient mobile app, and a professional and easy-to-use website. I especially love how homeowners can send house sitters a welcome guide, as it makes the house sit transition so much smoother.
Overall, Trusted Housesitters is one of the most useful websites for house sitters. For more information, click here.
How to Apply For Trusted Housesitters
If you’re interested in joining Trusted Housesitters, these are the steps for signing up:
- Choose one of the membership plans here, create an account, and pay your annual subscription fee (with a 20% discount using the promo code GOATS20).
- Complete your Sitter Verifications, which include confirming your email address, phone number, and identification. In order to pass your identification document check, you’ll need to upload a photograph of your passport or driver’s license.
- If you’re based in the US, you’ll also have to complete the free background check, which includes sharing your social security number.
- Request two external character references from friends, employers, family members, or landlords.
- Set up a killer house sitting profile.
- Start applying to some amazing house sitting jobs.
Trusted Housesitters offers three annual membership options: the Basic Sitter for $129 USD per year, the Standard Sitter for $169 USD per year, and the Premium Sitter for $259 USD per year. If these feel too steep for you, we offer a 20% discount for readers using the promo code GOATS20 at check-out. To learn more, click here.
Pros of Trusted Housesitters
- It’s one of the biggest house sitting platforms, and it’s filled with an abundance of international house sitting opportunities making it easy for beginner house sitters to find their first house sitting gig.
- It offers a 24/7 veterinarian hotline.
- Its website is professional, easy to navigate, and attractive.
- It offers a convenient and easy-to-use mobile app.
- It offers the option for homeowners to send house sitters a welcome guide, which makes it easier for both sides to prepare for the house sit.
Cons of Trusted Housesitters
- The annual membership fee is one of the most expensive on this list.
- A house sitting job can only accept a maximum of five applications at a time. This means that you have to be super quick at applying to the more desirable house sitting jobs (such as opportunities located in Hawaii or the Caribbean).
- While house sitters are required to verify their ID, homeowners do not, which makes it riskier for house sitters. Furthermore, customer service tends to favor homeowners over house sitters.
- US-based members must pass a background check, which includes sharing your social security number.
2. House Carers
Next, founded in 2000, House Carers is one of the oldest and best house sitting websites out there. With a ton of house sitting opportunities available all around the globe, fair prices, and a loyal customer base, House Carers is a reliable and trustworthy house sitting platform that is well worth checking out.
Although I’ve never personally used House Carers, I’ve heard tons of incredible things about it. It’s not the largest house sitting website choice, but it offers amazing customer service and a wide variety of house sitting opportunities.
Click here to find out more about House Carers, one of the best sites for house sitting.
How to Apply For House Carers
If you’re interested in joining House Carers, these are the steps for signing up:
- Create an account here and pay your annual membership fee.
- Get a Verified Badge on your profile by confirming your cell phone number, email address, and identification (either by uploading a photo of your passport or driver’s license). While this isn’t necessary, it’ll make you appear more trustworthy to homeowners.
- Finish setting up the perfect house sitting profile.
- Start searching and applying to some awesome house sitting gigs.
You can browse the house sitting listings for free, but in order to apply for a house sitting job on House Carers, you’ll have to pay a membership fee of $50 USD per year. Click here to learn more.
Pros of House Carers
- The membership fee isn’t too expensive.
- It’s easy to search for and find your ideal house sitting job.
- It has a long reputation for being honest, trustworthy, and fair.
Cons of House Carers
- There are fewer house sitting opportunities available compared to larger platforms like Trusted Housesitters. This results in more competition for the jobs.
- The website design is slightly outdated.
For an excellent and reliable house sitting website filled with a wide variety of destinations, you have to check out Nomador. With a straightforward search function and a user-friendly interface, Nomador offers both short-term and long-term house sitting options for travelers and digital nomads.
Nomador is also one of the only house sitting websites that offers three-month memberships instead of solely annual options. This is a huge perk in my opinion, as I don’t house sit year-round. So, for those like me who are planning to house sit for shorter trips (less than 6 months in a year), this can save you money.
Click here to learn more about one of the best house sitting websites, Nomador.
How to Apply For Nomador
If you’re interested in joining Nomador, these are the steps for signing up:
- Choose a membership plan (listed here), create an account, and pay your membership fee.
- Verify your email address and identification by confirming your email and uploading a photo of your passport or driver’s license. While this is optional, it is recommended.
- Finish setting up your house sitting profile.
- Begin applying to some house sitting gigs.
Nomador offers a few different membership options, including the Standard membership that costs $159 USD per year, the Premium membership that costs $199 USD per year, and the Discovery membership that costs $99 USD per year (or $39 USD per 3 months). Note that only the Discovery membership offers a quarterly membership option. To learn more, check out their prices here.
Pros of Nomador
- The Discovery membership allows house sitters to pay for three months of access instead of a whole year, which helps you save money if you’re not planning to house sit year-round.
- The website is pretty and is easy-to-navigate.
Cons of Nomador
- The membership fees are among the highest on this list.
- There aren’t as many house sitting opportunities on Nomador compared to websites like Trusted Housesitters, which makes the jobs more competitive.
Next, for a reliable, budget-friendly house sitting website founded way back in 2005, you have to try out MindMyHouse. Filled with house sitting opportunities around the globe, it’s no surprise that MindMyHouse is one of the best house sitting websites available.
With an easy-to-navigate interface, a convenient search tool, and an abundance of both short-term and long-term pet sits, MindMyHouse is one of the top websites to find out more about house sitting. One of its biggest appeals is its low membership fees, which only cost $29 USD per year. So, if you’re interested in house sitting but you’re wary about the membership fees, I definitely recommend trying MindMyHouse.
While I’ve not used MindMyHouse personally, the options are undeniably appealing. From month-long pet sits in New Zealand to dog sitting for a week in Portugal, MindMyHouse is the perfect house sitting website for both beginner and experienced pet sitters.
For more information on one of the top international house sitting websites, click here.
How to Apply For MindMyHouse
If you’re interested in joining MindMyHouse, these are the steps for signing up:
- Create an account and pay $29 USD for an annual subscription fee (click here for the link).
- Set up an incredible and eye-catching house sitter profile.
- Start searching and applying to pet sits.
MindMyHouse offers one membership option which costs just $29 USD per year. To learn more about the membership, click here.
Pros of MindMyHouse
- It offers one of the cheapest membership fees.
- It has an easy-to-use and updated website.
- It doesn’t require a background or identification check (which makes it easier for you to get started).
- It offers downloadable house sitting agreements between homeowners and house sitters.
Cons of MindMyHouse
- There are fewer house sitting opportunities compared to the larger house sitting websites.
- It doesn’t require a background or identification check. Yes, I know, I also listed this as a pro; this is both an advantage and a disadvantage. While it’s comforting to know that you don’t have to upload confidential information online, not having a background check can make homeowners more wary about you.
5. HouseSit Match
The last international house sitting website on our list of the best websites to learn about house sitting is HouseSit Match. With great customer service and affordable membership fees, HouseSit Match offers house sitting opportunities around the world, from Australia to the UK.
I’ve read fantastic reviews on the quality of their house sits, its convenient website, and the personal touch and messages from the founder, Lamia Walker. While there are word limits on the house sitting profiles, you can reach out to their customer service for tips on how to create the perfect house sitter profile to find you your dream job.
If you’re interested in learning more about HouseSit Match, click here.
How to Apply For HouseSit Match
If you’re interested in joining HouseSit Match, these are the steps for signing up:
- Choose one of the two membership plans here, create an account, and pay the annual membership fee.
- Complete your free ID verification through HOOYU.
- If you’re based in the UK, optionally complete a criminal and background check through VERIFILE (costing an additional £33).
- Write a concise and engaging house sitter profile (in either 150 words or 800 words, depending on your membership).
- Find and apply to the perfect house sitting job.
HouseSit Match offers two house sitting membership options: the Standard Membership for £69 per year and the Premium Membership for £89 per year. To learn more, click here.
Pros of HouseSit Match
- It has fantastic customer service and support.
- The annual membership fee is cheaper than some other sites.
- It’s easy to search for and find an ideal house sitting gig.
Cons of HouseSit Match
- It is a smaller house sitting website, which means there are fewer pet sitting opportunities compared to other larger platforms.
- It has a word limit on the house sitter and homeowner profiles.
6. House Sitters America
Now, let’s get into the destination-specific house sitting websites, starting with one of the best house sitting websites for the USA and Canada: House Sitters America.
The US is filled with some superb places to travel to; from the islands of Hawaii to the colorful city of Miami. If you’ve ever dreamed of visiting a specific American destination but you’ve worried about the cost of accommodation, House Sitters America is the way to go. I am personally dying to return to New Orleans and to explore northern California, so I’m definitely keeping an eye out for house sitting opportunities in these locations.
Not only is House Sitters America filled with tons of US house sitting opportunities, but it has an easy-to-use website, reasonably priced membership fees, and a convenient search engine. It also lets you charge homeowners fees for house sitting, making it one of the easiest ways to find paid house sitting jobs online.
To learn more about one of the best house sitting websites based in the USA, click here.
How to Apply For House Sitters America
If you’re interested in joining House Sitters America, these are the steps for signing up:
- Create an account and pay the annual subscription fee of $49 USD (click here for the link).
- Complete the optional identification check via Trulioo Global Gateway for $5 USD, which involves uploading photos of your driver’s license or providing your social security number. While this isn’t necessary, completing this step gives you an ID badge icon on your profile, which boosts your credibility as a house sitter.
- Write and publish an eye-catching house sitting profile.
- Begin your search for the best house sitting job in your dream US travel destination.
House Sitters America offers an annual membership for $49 USD. Click here to learn more.
Pros of House Sitters America
- It is filled with an abundance of incredible house sitting opportunities in America.
- The membership fees are relatively cheap.
- It allows you to charge homeowners for your house sitting services (with no commission paid to the website itself), making it a great way to become a paid, professional house sitter.
- The website and search engine are easy to use.
Cons of House Sitters America
- The identification check costs extra. While this ID check isn’t required, it’s harder to secure house sitting jobs without the ID badge icon on your profile.
- The identification check isn’t offered to homeowners, only house sitters.
7. House Sitters Canada
Interested in exploring the Great White North? If so, you have to check out one of the best house sitting websites, House Sitters Canada.
With a fairly low membership fee, an easy-to-navigate website with one of the best house sitting search engines, and a plethora of Canadian house sitting jobs to choose from, House Sitters Canada is one of the best choices for those wanting to travel Canada, from Toronto and Montreal to Calgary and Victoria.
I’ve house sat in Vancouver before, and I absolutely loved that I could stay in such an otherwise expensive and beautiful city without paying for accommodation. If you’re interested in learning more about House Sitters Canada, click here.
How to Apply For House Sitters Canada
If you’re interested in joining House Sitters Canada, these are the steps for signing up:
- Create an account with your email, Facebook, or Google login, and pay the annual membership fee of $59 CAD (click here for the link).
- If you like, you can complete the optional identification check through Trulioo Global Gateway for an additional $5. While doing this can boost your trustworthiness as a pet sitter, it’s not necessary; you can always use past reviews or character references to increase your credibility instead.
- Set up an incredible house and pet sitter profile.
- Start searching and applying for house sitting jobs all over Canada.
House Sitters Canada offers one annual membership option, which costs $59 CAD per year. To learn more, click here.
Pros of House Sitters Canada
- The annual membership fee is relatively inexpensive.
- It hosts a ton of fantastic house sitting opportunities all around Canada, from Saskatchewan to Vancouver Island.
- The website is easy to navigate, and it’s free to browse the current house sitting opportunities (this means that you can hold off on buying the membership until you find the perfect house sitting job).
- It makes it easy to charge homeowners a fee for house sitting (with no commission given to House Sitters Canada).
Cons of House Sitters Canada
- It costs an extra $5 to get your ID verified. While this is optional, it is recommended.
- Homeowners are unable to get their profiles ID verified, which makes it riskier for house sitters to accept gigs.
8. House Sitters UK
If you’re looking for one of the top house sitting websites in Europe, look no further than House Sitters UK.
Offering a wide array of short-term and long-term house sitting opportunities all over the United Kingdom, House Sitters UK is one of the best house sitting websites. It also offers a user-friendly interface, a convenient search and filter function, and an inexpensive membership fee.
I have house and pet sat extensively in the UK, from the rural countryside of Hampshire to the bustling cities of London and Edinburgh. House sitting in England and Scotland allowed me to see different sides of the country that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise; it’s my favorite way to travel.
For more information one of the best UK house and pet sitting websites, click here.
How to Apply For House Sitters UK
If you’re interested in joining House Sitters UK, these are the steps for signing up:
- Using your email address, Facebook account, or Google account, register for House Sitters UK and pay the subscription fee of £29 per year (click here for the link).
- Complete the optional ID Verification through Trulioo Global Gateway for an extra £3, which involves sharing your date of birth and address. While this definitely isn’t a requirement, it gives you an ID badge icon on your house sitter profile, which increases your credibility in the eyes of homeowners.
- Create your killer house sitter profile with past reviews or character references.
- Begin the search for your ideal UK house sitting job.
House Sitters UK charges £29 for its annual membership. If you’re interested in registering or finding out more, click here.
Pros of House Sitters UK
- It is filled with a plethora of incredible house sitting and pet sitting jobs around the United Kingdom.
- It has one of the cheapest annual membership fees.
- You have the option of charging homeowners an additional service fee for house sitting, making it one of the easiest ways to get paid as a house sitter.
- The website is super easy to use, and it’s convenient to search and filter through the available house sitting jobs to find your ideal sits.
Cons of House Sitters UK
- It costs extra to get an ID badge icon on your profile.
- The ID verification is only available to house sitters, not homeowners. This makes it riskier for house sitters to accept house sitting gigs, as they can’t be 100% certain that the homeowners are being honest about who they are.
9. Aussie House Sitters
If you’re interested in visiting the Land Down Under then you have to check out Aussie House Sitters; one of the best house sitting sites in Australia.
As it has the same parent company as House Sitters America, House Sitters Canada, and House Sitters UK, Aussie House Sitters comes with the same amazing perks: a cheap annual membership fee, an awesome search engine, and an easy-to-navigate interface.
Aussie House Sitters also lets you browse the current house and pet sitting opportunities for free. Visiting Australia is high on my ultimate travel bucket list, so I am definitely keeping an eye on the up-and-coming gigs. If you’re also interested in exploring Australia, you should definitely check it out.
Click here to learn more about Aussie House Sitters.
How to Apply For Aussie House Sitters
If you’re interested in joining Aussie House Sitters, these are the steps for signing up:
- Sign up for an Aussie House Sitters account and pay the annual membership fee of $84 AUD (click here for the link).
- Optionally complete the ID verification via Trulioo Global Gateway for an additional $5 AUD by either uploading photos of your driver’s license, passport, medicare card, or visa to enter Australia. While this is non-compulsory, it is recommended.
- Set up a standout house sitting profile.
- Start searching and applying to some awesome Australian house sitting jobs.
Aussie House Sitters offers one house sitter membership option for $84 AUD per year. To learn more, click here.
Pros of Aussie House Sitters
- Perfect for travelers, digital nomads, and locals wanting to explore the nooks and crannies of Australia for free.
- The annual membership fee isn’t too expensive.
- The website and search engine are both user-friendly.
- You can charge homeowners for your house sitting services, making it an easy way to become a paid house sitter. You also get to choose the fee (Aussie House Sitters don’t take any commission whatsoever).
Cons of Aussie House Sitters
- It costs an additional $5 AUD to get your house sitter profile ID-verified.
- ID Verification isn’t available to homeowners.
10. Kiwi House Sitters
Last but not least, if you’ve ever dreamed of traveling to the stunning country of New Zealand, you have to check out Kiwi House Sitters.
Boasting to be the largest house sitting platform in New Zealand, Kiwi House Sitters has over 1,000 new house sitting listings up every month. It also has a convenient and accessible website and affordable membership fees.
From the hot springs of Rotorua to the lively city of Auckland, Kiwi House Sitters offers short-term and long-term pet sitting opportunities all around New Zealand, making it the perfect option for travelers and digital nomads.
To learn more about one of the best house sitting websites, click here.
How to Apply For Kiwi House Sitters
If you’re interested in joining Kiwi House Sitters, these are the steps for signing up:
- Click here to register for a Kiwi House Sitters account, and pay the subscription fee of $84 NZD per year.
- If you want, you can complete the optional identification verification via Trulioo Global Gateway for an additional $5 NZD. In order to pass this ID check, you’ll either have to share photos of your driver’s license or share your address and date of birth. It isn’t essential, but it gives your house sitter profile an ID badge icon, which makes it easier to book house sitting jobs.
- Write and complete your eye-catching house sitter profile.
- Find your dream New Zealand house sitting job.
Kiwi House Sitters charge an annual membership fee of $84 NZD. To learn more, click here.
Pros of Kiwi House Sitters
- The annual membership fee isn’t too steep.
- It is filled with an abundance of amazing house sitting opportunities scattered all around New Zealand.
- The website is accessible and is easy-to-use.
- House sitters are allowed to charge homeowners fees for house sitting, and Kiwi House Sitters doesn’t take any commission.
Cons of Kiwi House Sitters
- The ID verification check costs extra.
- ID verification isn’t available to homeowners.
Best House Sitting Websites: FAQs
Here are some answers to commonly asked questions on house sitting:
Unfortunately, while several house sitting websites offer free registration for homeowners, most charge a membership fee for house sitters.
Yes, house sitting is totally legit and definitely worth considering. As long as you find your house sitting job on a trustworthy platform, you’ll be able to travel the world without paying for accommodation.
Yes, house sitting is safe as long as you find your job on a trustworthy house sitting website and meet the homeowners in advance (either virtually or in person). To be extra careful, I also like to choose homeowners whose profiles have stellar reviews from past house sitters.
There are many amazing house sitting websites filled with opportunities in Europe, like Trusted Housesitters, MindMyHouse, and Nomador, so it’s hard to choose just one. But, if you’re particularly interested in house sitting in the United Kingdom, I recommend checking out House Sitters UK.
I hope this article helped you decide which house sitting and pet sitting website is right for you. Each one of these websites for house sitting comes with its own pros and cons, so it’s time for you to decide which one is worth it.
And if you can’t decide between a few different options, you can always join more than one house sitting website. While the additional membership fees might be irksome, you’ll have access to even more amazing house sitting opportunities.
So, open up your laptops, polish up your house sitting profiles, and get ready to save money while traveling the world; it’s time to start house sitting.